CLICK HERE »»» BOOK READER

Size: 2826 KB
Type: PDF, ePub, eBook
Uploaded: 5 May 2019, 20:19
Rating: 4.6/5 from 703 votes.
tatus: AVAILABLE
Last checked: 13 Minutes ago!
eBook includes PDF, ePub and Kindle version
In order to read or download 4 Btv Antenna Manual ebook, you need to create a FREE account.

✔ Register a free 1 month Trial Account.
✔ Download as many books as you like (Personal use)
✔ Cancel the membership at any time if not satisfied.
✔ Join Over 80000 Happy Readers

These instructions are intended to replace those originally supplied by the manufacturer. Occasionally a manual will be updated between the time your DX Engineering product is shipped and when you receive it. Please check the DX Engineering web site (www.dxengineering.com) for the latest revision manual. Later, the Hustler Four Band Trap Vertical, known around the world as the 4-BTV, was made available with an 80 meter resonator, and the 5-BTV was born. When the Amateur bands expanded in 1979, the last of the series offerings designed by Hustler, the 6-BTV, added 30 meters, for an unequalled vertical antenna. Through years of experience, DX Engineering has engineered and manufactured add-ons that will. INSTALLATION OF ANY ANTENNA NEAR POWER LINES IS DANGEROUS Do not locate the antenna near overhead power lines or other electric light or power Warning: circuits, or where it can come into contact with such circuits. Add optional DX Engineering Add-On Kits 6. Mount the BTV base to the Tilt Base for 12, 17 and 60 meters and make adjustments. In some cases ham. DX Engineering recommends using a concrete base, as shown on page 9, when a high performance installation with many radials is planned. The reasons that a concrete base is recommended: 1. These instructions are intended to replace those originally supplied by the manufacturer. This manual shows you how to plan and install ground radials for better antenna performance and gratifying operational results in almost any situation. DX Engineering Radial Wire has a relaxed Black PVC insulation. Radial System Considerations The performance of any quarter-wave vertical antenna, multi-band or single band, is completely dependent upon the quality of its radial system. Plan to install at least 20 radials using DX Engineering Radial Wire Kits. However, improved performance is accomplished using 30 to 60 radial wires. A dark color felt-tip marker works well. Locate the hardware pack containing the element clamps. http://www.intesaleasing.ru/userfiles/bosch_jigsaw_pst_650_manual.xml

4 btv antenna manual, 4 btv antenna manual, 4 btv antenna manual download, 4 btv antenna manual pdf, 4 btv antenna manual 2017, 4 btv antenna manual free, 4btv antenna manual.

Refer to the following 4-BTV, 5-BTV or 6-BTV assembly instructions, depending on your antenna, for element clamps, tubing and trap placement. The dimensions between the aluminum sections and the traps are shown in the chart below. The six bladed spider is mounted just above the 20 Meter trap. The dimensions between the aluminum sections and the traps are shown in the chart below. The six bladed spider is mounted just above the 20 Meter trap. The three blade spider is mounted just below the 80 Meter resonator. This spider is used on both the 4-BTV and 5- BTV antennas. The spider mounts on the antenna just above the 20 meter trap. The dimensions between the aluminum sections and the traps are shown in the chart below. - 26 -. Set A1 dimension to the required spacing as shown in the charts below.For radial wires, the better alternative is to use an optional DXE-RADP-3 DX Engineering Radial Plate. Additionally, the feedline can be connected using other methods using DX Engineering custom made feedline options as shown in Chapter 6. The better alternative is the optional DX Engineering DXE-VFCC-H05-A Vertical Feedline Current Choke which is specifically engineered and manufactured to help eliminate RF feedback from a resonant vertical antenna. DXE-RADP-3 Radial Plate Installation The picture to the right shows the Hustler BTV base, DXE-TB-3P Tilt Base DXE-RADP-3 Radial Plate DXE-VFCC-H05-A Vertical Feedline Choke DX Engineering Radial Wires - 32 -. Standing in front of the Tilt Base, lift the antenna base section, slide it to the right, and let it down slightly until the lower outside bolt is resting in the pivot point. Make sure the proper braid is connected to the feedpoint (refer to the VFCC manual for details). The antenna traps will not be harmed by performing this tuning procedure. Note: For the purposes of these instructions the term “resonance” or “resonant frequency” is defined as the point of lowest SWR and may be used interchangeably. http://grandhotelushba.com/userfiles/bosch-jetronic-manual.xml

Use your transceiver or analyzer and plot a chart of SWR measurements at several frequencies across the range below and above your target frequency, repeating after every antenna adjustment. The lettered dimensions charted below are only starting points and will normally be changed for fine tuning. 4-BTV 5-BTV 6-BTV. Gentle stabilization is what’s required, not a strong anchoring like a tower would need. For ground mounted vertical antennas of any brand, DX Engineering offers guying kits that include the rope and ground anchors (DXE-GUY100, 200, 400 or 1000-KIT). An antenna analyzer such as the MFJ-259B or an SWR meter is used to make resonant, elevated radials. This is possible with a metal roof on a home, barn, garage, carport, RV, porch and metal sheds or awnings, and even on commercial buildings. In some cases the trap you have may not be easily identified. If your trap label is missing, you will have to open up the trap and count the turns of wire on the internal coil. Lightning Protection - For Any Installation Proper lightning protection and grounding is a prudent investment for any Amateur Radio antenna installation.This kit will operate across the entire 60m band with an SWR of 1.5:1 or less. DX Engineering Radial Wire Anchor Pins are perfect for fastening radials below the grass line to eliminate the risk of damaging your radials during lawn maintenance. Our DX Engineering wire stripper uses a spring-loaded design to make quick work of wires ranging from 24 to 10 gauge. Just insert the wire, squeeze the handle, and listen for the click. That’s the sound of another perfect wire stripping job performed in about 2 seconds- a fraction of the time it takes your pocket knife to do the same job. The coaxial cable features a flexible 11 gauge stranded copper center, foam polyethylene dielectric, 97 coverage bare copper shield and a PVC jacket. http://www.drupalitalia.org/node/67203

DX Engineering’s sole obligation under these warranties shall be to issue credit, repair or replace any item or part thereof which is proved to be other than as warranted. We begin with perhaps the most valuable accessory of all: the 64-page DX Engineering New Assembly and High Performance Installation Instructions, which serve as a replacement for the manual originally supplied by the manufacturer. By 1979, the company had added the 5-BTV (with an 80M resonator), and expanded its capabilities to 30M with the 6-BTV. Since 1985, the New-Tronics Antenna Corporation in Mineral Wells, Texas, has been manufacturing the Hustler BTV Series. This enhancement necessitated the need for trapIt includes instructions for installing your antenna outThe manual is included withThis is a great resource to help you get the most from your BTV antenna system. I found the tuning instructions particularly helpful. It replaces the basic manual provided by the manufacturer. The printing quality and content of the DXE manual are both awesome!” Find the complete manual at DXEngineering.com. Avoid These Mistakes and Get Off on the Right Foot? Consider Choosing an Insulated Boom-to-Element Bracket Tower Safety (Part 1): An Introduction to Climbing - Ham Radio News on Amateur Radio Tower Safety (Part 1): An Introduction to Climbing Why You Shouldn’t Ignore the Thrust Bearing When Protecting Amateur Radio Equipment from Lightning Strikes - Ham Radio News on Why You Shouldn’t Ignore the Thrust Bearing When Protecting Amateur Radio Equipment from Lightning Strikes Promoting Ham Radio in Your Area - Ham Radio News on Promoting Ham Radio in Your Area The Amateur Radio Station of the United Nations, 4U1UN - Ham Radio News on The Yasme Foundation: Origin and Overview Popular Categories Tech Articles All Rights Reserved. DX Engineering 2012. Box 1491 Akron, OH 44309-1491. Phone: (800) 777-0703 Tech Support and International: (330) 572-3200. http://directealgerie.com/images/3zz-fe-manual.pdf

Fax: (330) 572-3279 E-mail: -1- Table of Contents Chapter 1 - Introduction Congratulations ! 4. Over 50 Years Ago 4. Hustler BTV antennas 5. You gotta be kidding 6. Basic Assembly and Enhanced Operating Assembly 6. Chapter 2 - General Information Warning 7. The 4-BTV is designed as a self supporting vertical to provide optimum performance on the 10, 15, 20 and 40 meter bands. DX Engineering 2012. Box 1491 Akron, OH 44309-1491. Phone: (800) 777-0703 Tech Support and International: (330) 572-3200. Fax: (330) 572-3279 E-mail: -1- Table of Contents Chapter 1 - Introduction Congratulations ! 4. Over 50 Years Ago 4. Hustler BTV antennas 5. You gotta be kidding 6. Basic Assembly and Enhanced Operating Assembly 6. Chapter 2 - General Information Warning 7. 2 Overhead Power Line Safety 7. Basic Tools Required 7. Assembly Notes 7. Chapter 3 - Common Starting Information Installation Sequence 8. Site Selection 9. Mounting Pipe 9. Concrete or No Concrete That is THE Question 10. Coaxial Cable to Mounting Pipe 11. Chapter 4 - Some Really Good Information Get the Best Performance From Your New Quarter-Wave Vertical antenna 11. Some Brief Words on Ground Mounting, Elevated Mounting, and Radial Wires 12. How to Put Radial Wires Down Without Digging 13. Radial System Considerations 14. Hustler Base Assembly 19. Six Blade Spider for the 4-BTV and 5-BTV only 24. 3 Three Blade Spider for the 5-BTV only 24. 80 Meter Resonator and Whip Installation for the 5-BTV and 6-BTV 24. Mating the Vertical Sections to the Base Section 27. Coax RF Choke 29. Basic Tuning 29. Chapter 6 - DX Engineering Enhanced antenna Systems Special Hustler BTV Packages Available from DX Engineering 30. Radial Plate to Mounting Pipe 32. Attaching Ground Radial Wires to the Radial Plate 33. Tilt Base Mounting Plate to Mounting Pipe 34. BTV antenna Base Section to Tilt Base 34. Testing the Tilt Base 35. Alternate Feedpoint Connections 36. The DXE-VFCC-H05-A Vertical Feedline Current Choke 37. http://www.sg-callenberg.de/wp-content/plugins/formcraft/file-upload/server/content/files/1626c559edcb82---compex-microhub-8-tp1008c-manual.pdf

-2- Chapter 7 - Tuning Understanding Trap Calibration 39. Hustler Traps 40. Hustler Trap Calibration - Resonance Adjustment Procedure 42. 4 Tuning the 80 Meter Resonator Whip for the 5-BTV and 6-BTV 43. Chapter 8 - Guying the Hustler BTV antenna System 44. Chapter 9 - Reference Information Elevated Mounting of the Hustler BTV antenna 45. The Quarter-Wave Vertical on a Metal Roof 46. What Trap Do I Have? 48. Hustler BTV Replacement Parts Diagram 49. Weatherproofing Coaxial Cable Connections 50. Lightning Protection - For Any Installation 50. Hustler BTV Specifications 51. Chapter 10 - Additional Operating Bands Adding Additional Operating Bands to your Hustler BTV antenna 54. Chapter 11 - Recommended Accessory Items For Assembly 55. For Quick Tilt Action 55. For Tuning 56. Additional Accessories for Your Hustler BTV 56. Technical Support and Warranty 60. Note: DX Engineering is constantly upgrading information and developing new products to enhance your amateur radio experience. 5 Please check the DX Engineering web site for the latest information: Manual Updates and Information Every effort is made to supply the latest manual revision with each product. Occasionally a manual will be updated between the time your DX Engineering product is shipped and when you receive it. The high quality, low-loss traps are adjustable, so you may tune the antenna for low SWR and maximum performance in virtually all types of installations. The Hustler BTV Series HF Base Vertical is mechanically and electrically superior to other brands, and will offer years of top performance. If the system is installed with the DX Engineering Hustler antenna options according to the recommendations and instructions in this manual, the full capabilities of this antenna are realized DX Engineering has worked extensively with the Hustler BTV series of antennas and has custom manufactured the best quality optional items to enhance the HF operating performance. Using DX. akaruiedu.com/uploaded/ckeditors/files/conflo-iv-manual.pdf

7 Engineering parts will ensure that your Hustler BTV antenna will enable you to achieve an outstanding presence on the amateur bands for years to come. Over 50 Years Ago! The Hustler HF Base Four Band Trap Vertical antenna was a new concept in 1959. This unique multi- band antenna with an exclusive low-loss trap design was developed and introduced to Amateurs by Hustler, Inc.Later, the Hustler Four Band Trap Vertical, known around the world as the 4-BTV, was made available with an 80 meter resonator, and the 5-BTV was born. When the Amateur bands expanded in 1979, the last of the series offerings designed by Hustler, the 6-BTV, added 30 meters, for an unequalled vertical antenna. 8 Since 1985 the New-Tronics antenna Corporation in Mineral Wells, Texas, has been making high quality antennas for HF, VHF and UHF Amateur and Commercial customers, including the Hustler BTV Series. Since 2003, DX Engineering has offered Hustler Antennas and has developed a complete system of innovative accessories and Add-On Kits specifically for the Hustler BTV series. Amateurs now have the choice of complete Hustler BTV Series High Performance packages for their HF needs, including the ability to turn their Hustler into a 9-BTV covering all bands 80 through 10 meters. DX Engineering joins New-Tronics antenna Corporation in celebrating over 50 years of service with the famous Hustler HF Base Four Band Trap Vertical The Hustler 4-BTV. -4- Hustler BTV Antennas The Hustler 4-BTV is a four-band trap vertical antenna providing an omni directional pattern. 9 The 4-BTV is designed as a self supporting vertical to provide optimum performance on the 10, 15, 20 and 40 meter bands. This antenna is designed for installations with restricted space. The Hustler 4-BTV is approximately 19 feet tall. The Hustler 5-BTV is a five-band trap vertical antenna. This antenna includes the RM-80S resonator and the 4457-1 three blade spider assembly. The Hustler 5-BTV is approximately 24 feet tall. {-Variable.fc_1_url-

10 The Hustler 6-BTV is a six-band trap vertical antenna. The design of the 6-BTV is sleek, with no capacity spiders and is approximately 25 feet tall. The Hustler BTV antennas provide automatic electrical selection of the bands through the use of optimum Q traps, which are individually and precisely tuned at New-Tronics. The traps are parallel tuned circuits which provide efficient isolation between the vertical sections, permitting multi-band operation. Efficient operation over the many ham bands at good SWRs is possible in a proper installation. The Hustler BTV antennas were designed to provide optimum performance from both an electrical and mechanical standpoint. Show more Covers 160 to 10 meters (except 60 meter) in CW, RTTY and AM modes. Covers 160 to 10 meters (except 60 meter) in CW, RTTY and AM modes. There are parts made from fiberglass in this kit. Antennas are simply lengths of conductive metal that radiate radio signals into the air. Keywords: Helical, IE3D, VSWR, Return loss.Therefore, the tutorial focus for MIMO mul-tiuser systems will be on ergodic capacity under perfect CSI at the transmitter and receiver, with a brief This section also provides a brief discussion of system level issues associated with MIMO cellular. Open problems in. These manuals are available for download and free of charge.Contact and submission information belowCompliments of Larry Saletzki, WA9VRH. These manuals are available for download and free of charge.Or, you can email me directly with the manual. I accept all formats. Advanced Search Alpha Delta Ameco American Tower Ameritron Amphenol Anytone ARRL ARTSCI Astatic Astron Baofeng Bencher Butternut C C C Chameleon Closeout Books Cobra Comet Cooper Group Cross Devices Cushcraft Demo Diamond Dosy Duracell Early Alert ECG ER GAP Ham Radio Schoo. http://yuseigachi.nl/wp-content/plugins/formcraft/file-upload/server/content/files/1626c55aae1bde---compex-mrl21e-manual.pdf

Used Valor Vanco Vectronics VGC Vibroplex W5YI WA1FFL West Mountain Whistler Wilson Workman Wouxun Yaesu Yaesu Closeouts View the manual for 4BTV The easiest to assemble multi-band vertical on the. Review Summary For: HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 108 MSRP: 119.99 Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA Product is in production More Info: It was new in the box but the ham I bought it from had never set it up and, like me kept it in his garage for a very long time. So, we're talking about an antenna that was at least 20 years old and possibly much older. Like a lot of people I had a lot of time on my hands over the last couple of months and finally got it set up. Set up was quick and simple, I used current instructions from the web. 12 radials, 20-30 feet each, no symmetry but best I could do with my yard. No adjustment was required to the set up, less than 1.5 VSWR across the 4 bands first try, no tuner required. The 4BTV is at least the equal of the dipoles, Endfedz and G5RVs I've been using up to this point and I don't need a ladder to work with it. So far, I've mainly been using it for FT8 and a small amount of voice with great results. Again, with lots of time on my hands I've been experimenting and I added the 17M mod with excellent results. 12M will be next. Really good antenna, I'm very pleased with it and regret not setting it up years ago. Band conditions are poor right now but hey it gets better from here eh? Alas I didn't get a response. So here is an update in a new review.. I moved the antenna to another site in the garden which improved its performance quite noticeably. Due to illness, I had time last year to play with the siting and noted when it was moved to its original placement, the antenna was not getting out anywhere near as well as it is now elsewhere. I have changed nothing in the antenna radials pattern or materials, the mounting or whatever else is as it was and needs to perform well - except the previous siting of it. ais-rus.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/conflict-transformation-training-manual.pdf

I'm able to consistently reach out to mainland Europe at 10W SSB and just beyond on FT-8 with good signal reports on PSK Reporter. I can hit the East coast of the US with the right band conditions and with 10W or above, with some reasonable results on FT-8. However, I'm unable to report on SSB phone performance as despite holding a full UK licence for over 5 years, I have yet to get anyone, anywhere to respond to a QSO for me so that I can have some idea how the antenna is getting out in this mode. I hate spending money on any Amateur antenna as I enjoy constructing them myself. I performed an inventory on making one myself and concluded that there was about 10 saving for all the effort and probably a lot of hassle. The instructions are easy to follow and I measured accurately the spacings for the tube lengths WITHOUT radials. The antenna is mounted on a 4' aluminium tube with 18 inches sticking out of the soil. It was mounted into a concrete base and has a 4' copper earth rod hammered into the adjacent soil with a large 10mm earth strap attached to the mounting bracket of the antenna. No other radials. The VSWR on all bands was less than 1:1.3 and tunes up on my Kenwood TS590S without needing the internal tuner on 40m, 20m, 15m and 10m. As an added bonus it also tunes up on 6m using the internal AMU. It has been installed over 12 months now and been battered by the SE England coast weather without problem. I have noticed on some older antenna that reports of the black plastic trap cover has split. So far these are intact with no evidence of cracking or splits. I did send of to obtain the aluminium joint compound hustler recommend and also copper grease for the nuts and bolts and jubilee clips. The only problem I have had is two of the spider CAP hat radials got knocked off (not sure if seagulls have landed on them or wind) but this was easily rectified by adding a wide diameter washer to the screw side of the radial fixing. If you need details email me through Eham or my call sign. Overall a great antenna, super value for the money and would I buy another one. Hell YES! M0KTY I've been looking for a nice day to get up on the flat roof and add a second set of radials to my 4BTV. Four rings were prepared, one set of radials per ring, and those were tightened up to the Hustler base. Well, folks, that changed things considerably. IT DID NOT CHANGE THE RESONANCE, not one bit. I recorded all the previous (and somewhat low in frequency) resonant frequencies for 10, 15, 20 and 40 meters. I'm using a RigMaster AA-54 to view everything, and no. I was viewing just viewing each band at a time, not the whole spectrum, which will obviously look like sharp SWR notches. What I found was that the tuning of the segments and traps was now much more critical, since the acceptable SWR range was now much narrower. I've been told that's a good thing. Or so they say in the both the DX-Engineering and Hustler manuals. At any rate, the antenna went up and down countless times as I raised the resonance of each band with trap adjustments. Trap adjustment is not hard, but a little goes a long way. The 10 meter trap actually takes a fairly good amount of movement for show movement in resonance. Since I don't plan (currently) of working CW I tuned for the middle of phone section of each band, based on the range allowed to Extra class licenses. The other traps each needed almost minute changes to make fairly substantial difference in resonance. Once you get close, you can fine tune with the segment lengths. Fine tune went well, and I've got the lowest part of the dip in resonance very very close to the middle of my desired operating range. Here's what I also found out - they tell you to adjust 10, then 15, then 20 meter traps, and finally the extension above the spiders for 40 meters. In practice, I adjusted 10 meters, then adjusted 15 meters and found I needed to back and tweak 10 meters again. The 15 meter band then required additional but very slight tweaking. Moving to 20 meters, it got adjusted, and I rechecked 10 and 15 meters and they had not appreciably changed, if at all. Finally 40 meters was set, and every band was double checked. Nothing else changed. That was good, because mounting the 4BTV on its base, was beginning to tire me out a bit. Fixed ok and back in place. And finally, lacking goo for the trap covers, I made sure they were pushed down solidly, then gave 'em a few wraps at the upper edge with some Co-Ax Seal tape. I don't think water ingress will be an issue. Long update, I know, but hopefully some of what I passed along will help somebody else. The 4BTV has been GREAT so far. I'm in SE Florida, and so far SSB contacts all over the east and west coast of the USA, to Costa Rica, Columbia, Croatia and Italy, Cape Verde Isles, Madeira Isls, and Osaka Japan, all possible when running the AL-800 at about 400watts. My closest contact was in the daytime, about 60 miles away, but it was fairly poor. At 250 miles, daytime contacts are very good, allowing me to work stations in central FL. Many thanks to all who helped me along the way! I recently took it down, wiped all the green stuff growing on the antenna (I live in Florida) with a Mr. Clean wipe. Then I tightened any loose hose clamps, put it back up, swept it with the MFJ analyzer and found everything well within range Earlier 5-star review posted by WA4JM on 2008-12-27 I came into possession of a used 4BTV. Considering the age of the antenna, I was impressed with the quality of the construction. You always take a chance on used stuff but I downloaded manual, tweaked the lengths and was pleasantly happy to find that the antenna came into spec rather quickly. The antenna is ground mounted with only two radials per band. Anyone living in Florida knows that the ground conductivity sucks big-time so am adding more wire. I found the performance to be excellent for DX. For local contacts on 75 meters I still use wire. This is a great antenna for those on a budget and living in CCR Hell. 73, John They are cheap, easy to put up, and have a small foot print. We moved onto a 50' wide lot about two years ago that had too many obstructions for me to use my typical set up of multiple inverted V antennas. I had purchased a new 4BTV from DX Engineering a year or more prior but never set it up. I decided to mount the 4BTV at the apex of the roof (about 15' up), and I ran between 2 and 4 cut to frequency radials for each band that come off and down at a slight angle from the base of the antenna. I suspect the roof itself is working as a nice ground plane in addition to the radials. It was a pleasant surprise to hear great reports back on 40 meters. I also had an end fed wire antenna up and swapped back and forth. Everyone said the vertical was much better. The only problem I'm having is that it doesn't seem to 'hear' as well as it talks. On the 'High Noon Net' on 40 each day, I can barely hear the net control, but they tell me I've got a great signal. On 10, 15, and 20, it really seems to do well too. Verticals just seem to be compromised antennas from the get-go, but they can be made to work, and work well under the right conditions. AM broadcast stations have been using them for the last century. Due to my space limitations, it is attached above ground to a vertical pipe and limited radials. I still have to tune the antenna, but after checking the antenna with my analyzer, found all bands marginally usable right out of the box. This installation has the traps for, 10, 15, 17, 20, 30 and length for 40. The only real fly in this out of the box condition, is 40 meters is about 500KC long. The others are also a small amount long except 15m. It is just a small amont short. I hope to get the tuning done shortly, but I must say that my antenna's traps were very close to being on frequency. Thanks DX Engineering. I may add more comments after the tuneup is finished. The quality and ease of building by one person went very well. Les, WA4KNT I've had several of these since the 70's however the trap design is better than it was, as the old formed taper eventually cracked under fatigue. I'm not getting why people are retuning the traps to an extent where you have to adjust all parameters. Every one that I installed only required adjusting the length of the tube sections or the counter poise. Either you have the traps upside down (which I've seen) or some other factor. Either way you are doing something wrong. Only thing is, they should include penetrox faith the antenna. Great antenna, with a proven design for almost 50 years, only Mosley and Newtronics can say that. 73's This is my second one. I finished the installation in the middle of the November phone SS and had a blast working stations from coast to coast; FL to BC, Maritimes to SD and everywhere in between on 40-10m. Most stations came back to me on the first try. I could hardly believe how well it worked. My new 4BTV is ground mounted and I decided to get serious about radials this time after reading articles by Rudy Severns and Jerry Sevick. I got the DX Engineering radial plate and some of their accessories to make the job easier. You can install the antenna without one, but the plate makes for a neat and efficient installation that's easy to work on. Mounting the plate about an inch above ground keeps it out of the dirt and makes attaching wires a breeze. Currently I am using 24 radials of various lengths. I have eight 10 footers and sixteen 20 footers. I will be adding another eight 15 footers. Why the odd lengths. Partly to accommodate the limitations of my QTH and partly to help ensure the system works efficiently on all bands. I used the manufacturer's instructions for the dimensions, but I followed the recommendations in the DX Engineering manual in other respects. The manual is really well written and I highly recommend getting a copy. My installation has a low VSWR at resonance on all bands but it approaches 2.5:1 at the upper band edge on 40. The other bands are pretty flat right across. So far I have not changed any of the settings as the antenna works well enough as is. When warmer weather comes I may do some tweaking. My first 4BTV lasted for many years, but I never got good performance out of it because I wasn't aware of how important it is to install a radial system. Stations came in strong and I would call them back, but they never heard me. Putting in a good radial system makes all the difference. I like the construction of the Hustler 4BTV. I prefer it to the Hy-Gain 14AVQ, which I have also owned, for two reasons. It's a little taller, which to me indicates it will be slightly more efficient, and the trap covers are made of better material. I had a problem with the Hy-Gain trap covers splitting. The Hustler traps are much better in this regard.I had it tied to a fence post and my radials were abt 100 ft of chicken wire attached to the split rail fence. Worked abt 20 countries and noise level was interestingly lower than the horiz loop. They are quite flimsy and I knocked off 2 of them in normal setting up and lifting the antenna. They are held by a 6-32 screw with very little surface area. When I took the antenna down after about 6 weeks in dry climate (Denver metro area), one of the screws was already starting to show some corrosion. I will likely buy a 6BTV in the near future to avoid the spider assembly issues. The 4BTV is good antenna and value. I have no hesitancy in recommending it. When you subscribe, you receive only messages forOther useful informationThe site will be something of which everyone involved can be proud to say they were a part. Contact the site with comments or questions. Ask Elmer About Batteries Code Practice Computer Help Electronics FCC Post Reviews Product Reviews Ham Radio Videos.